Here is a great succinct list from pbs.org about kids and food:
- Children eat at their own pace and some eat more than others do.
- Avoid tying food together with behavior either as a reward or a punishment.
- Eating should be a shared and cooperative experience with foods served family style. Meals should be a time to chat, enjoy and help each other.
- Mealtimes are opportunities for children to be independent by making choices about foods.
- Encourage children to taste everything but be careful not to force them to eat.
( from http://www.pbs.org/wholechild/providers/little.html)